IVF – In Vitro Fertilization
Best IVF Centre in Indiranagar | LifePlus Hospital
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a fertility process in which fertilization occurs when matured eggs are retrieved from ovaries and fertilized with sperms in a lab. The fertilized egg or embryos are transferred to the uterus. A cycle of IVF lasts for about three weeks.
IVF is an Assisted Reproductive Technique that helps couples conceive when several cycles of procedures such as ovulation induction and IUI have failed. IVF is the most effective form of assisted reproductive technique.
It is one of the most common methods used to treat various fertility issues. Some causes of infertility for which IVF is found useful are blocked fallopian tubes, ovulation disorders, endometriosis, ovarian failure, impaired sperm production, uterine fibroids, tube sterilization, unexplained infertility, age factor and more.
The IVF procedure is commenced 4 to 6 weeks before the process of egg retrieval. Once fertilization takes place in the lab, the embryos are transferred approximately 3 to 5 days later.
A step by step process of the entire cycle is explained below:
- The IVF procedure commences on Day 2 of the menstrual cycle. The patient will be advised to undergo daily injections and ultrasound scans at regular intervals. Medicines to stimulate ovulation are administered, and the follicle growth regularly monitored with an ultrasound scan. Hormone levels are also monitored. Your ultrasound scan will record uterine lining status as well.
- Once the scan reveals the size of the follicles has reached the adequate size of around 18-20 mm, the doctor will administer an injection to mature the eggs.
- Schedule date: Now the egg retrieval procedure is scheduled. This is usually 34-36 hours after the injection.
- Egg retrieval:On the day of oocyte or egg retrieval, the husband or partner will be asked to give a semen sample. Usually, the doctor recommends a period of abstinence of 2- 3 days before providing the sample. In case the partner is unable to be present on the day of egg retrieval, the semen is collected in advance and frozen
- The semen sample is processed and placed in a petri dish along with the eggs retrieved
- Fertilization: Now the process of fertilization is expected to take place, and embryo development commences.
- Embryo Transfer: The crucial step of the IVF procedure is the final embryo transfer. It may be done on any day between the second and fifth days after oocyte retrieval. By the fifth day, the embryo is called a blastocyst. Usually it is found that a blastocyst transfer can improve your chances of pregnancy. Generally, not more than one or two embryos are transferred.
- Blood test: two weeks of embryo transfer, a blood test is conducted to confirm pregnancy.
Positive: In case of a positive outcome, the expectant mother is referred to an obstetrician for prenatal care, and bed rest may be advised.
Negative: If the outcome is not favorable, one can consult the doctor and go for another IVF cycle or choose an alternative course of treatment that may improve their chances of pregnancy.
IVF is a very safe procedure, and there is absolutely nothing to worry about if performed by experienced fertility specialists. But it is always better to be aware of a few side effects.
Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) is caused due to overreaction to fertility drugs. In this condition, ovaries become swollen, causing pain.But specialists can control this immediately.
If more than one embryo gets implanted in the uterus, it can result in multiple pregnancies.
Sometimes, on rare occasions, after IVF, the embryo in the uterus can get implanted outside the womb. This can happen due to damaged fallopian tubes. Ectopic pregnancy can cause pain in the abdomen, vaginal bleeding, and other complications. Hence if patients experience abdominal pain, it is best to inform the doctor immediately
Why We Are The Best
At Life Plus, we are committed to helping our patients have a healthy baby, using treatments that are safe, effective, and affordable. The expert team at Life Plus specializes in providing a personalized treatment program designed with a healthy baby and healthy mother in mind.
Our state-of-the-art facilities include on-site laboratories and theatres managed by a dedicated and highly specialized medical team.
Have you got IVF related query? Call us Now!